Sunday, April 22, 2007

Tribute In Victory




Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of Jeff Gordon. I like him but I usually route for Junior. But this weekend, I believe I am finally on the Gordon bus. In his victory, Gordon reached his 76th victory, which ties the number of wins Junior's daddy had. But 24 used the victory to remember Number 3, The Intimidator, Dale Earnhardt.

I have always heard nothing but respect for Dale Sr. come out of Gordon's mouth. They raced hard on the track but Gordon always respected the way The Intimidator was anything but that off the track. Dale Sr. was the reason I even became interested in NASCAR and to continue to see his influence shows just how much he contributed to the sport.

Gordon's tribute, a flag with the number 3 held out the driver side window in his victory lap, is a lesson. No matter what victories we have, other's have been there and have paved the way for many of us. We can use these times to glorify ourselves or humble ourselves and take a moment to give thanks and praise to those who have been there before us and left us lessons along the way.

6 comments:

Kc said...

This is an excellent life lesson and IMO, a very perceptive and well written article Mr R.

Keep 'em comin! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I live in the house of a race fan so when I came out of the closet on being a Gordon fan let’s just say my man almost fell over from laughter and horror. He was a Sr. Fan and we like many others mourned the loss now he cheers on Jr. I wasn’t able watch the race but was told when I got home from work “Your boy won” Thank you for filling in some details.

Mister Right said...

Thanks KC for the compliment.

Mister Right said...

It's hard for me to say I'm kind of going for Gordon at this point even though I'm a Junior fan. I have to say, though, Gordon is having a great season. Matbe he can grab his 5th title.

Milly said...

I was a bit shocked to see Jeff becoming more aggressive. It’s working and I can see how he’d have to be but still he was Mr. Nice Guy and that was part of the reason I liked him.

Anonymous said...

Great work.